Positive Treatment Outcomes of Surgical Removal of Venous Malformations of the Knee

Primary tabs

NEWS
Positive Treatment Outcomes of Surgical Removal of Venous Malformations of the Knee

Surgical removal of knee venous malformations (VMs) is a reliable method with promising results in terms of pain, function, and quality of life, confirms a recent study published in the "Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics."

The efficacy of surgical treatment of venous malformations (VMs) of the knee joint has not been explored much. The present retrospective observational study was conducted with an aim to assess the benefits of surgery regarding pain, function, and quality of life. 

A total of thirty-five patients (22 females and 13 males, with a median age of 15 y, range of 5 to 20 y) undergoing surgery for VMs of the knee between 2011 and 2014 were included in this study. A prospective database was used to perform the data collection. The main outcomes of the study were pain, mobility of the joint, residual VMs as seen by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and quality of life (QoL). 

Twenty-seven VMs were found limited to the area in and around the knee joint, of which eight were widespread. Intermittent  or permanent pain was considered as an indication for surgery. The surgical excisions of the VM were carried out for: suprapatellar area in 57%, suprapatellar and infrapatellar area in 29%, infrapatellar area in 2%, limited in the femoropatellar area in 12%. For 19 patients, partial resection of a vastus muscle or patellar retinaculum was considered mandate. The average term of the surgery was 4 hours. The median hospital stay was five days; full-time physiotherapy was regular for 2 to 3 weeks. 74% patients reported no more extensive pain and 60% patients reported normalization of joint mobility after six months. 86% (28 Patients) has no remaining intra-articular VMs, and 14% had focal residual VMs, out of the total 33 patients who had MRI at 6 months. 77% (27 patients) reported no more widespread pain, 23% reported intermittent pain with unusual activities, and 91% (32 patients) reported normalization of joint  mobility at the last follow-up. A significant improvement in overall QoL was noted.

 

Source:                       

Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics

Link to the source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29668497

The original title of the article:

Surgical Treatment of Venous Malformations of the Knee: Treatment Outcomes for 35 Patients

Authors

Laurian; C. et al.

SearchTags: 
Therapeutic, Pain, Knee, Retrospective observational study, Physiotherapy.
Log in or register to post comments